- Reach the summits of many classic peaks
- Route finding
- Escape Routes
- Poor Visibility Navigation Techniques
- Emergency Procedures
- Action plan for the future
This course can be held in Snowdonia or The Lakes
This day will start with the basics of navigation, introducing the tools for navigation, and progressing to the "Four Whats?" strategy.
On Day 2 we will recap and revise the content of day one, and move this forward with the use of the compass and bearings, and some more advanced navigation techniques.
Day 3 will focus on techniques for navigating in poor visibility in preparation for the night navigation lesson.
Day 4 will focus on safe route planning, and safe route choice in the mountinas. We will also look at a "lost procedure" for if the unthinkable really does happen!
Day 5 will recap the content from the week, and will be an opportunity to "troubleshoot" any problem areas and to coach the students techniques to ensure they are navigating as efficiently and effectively as possible.
At the end of this course you will have a debrief with your instructor, which will include a number of detailed handouts on what we have covered during the course, and a personalized "Action Plan" to help you go away and achieve your own goals in mountaineering.
- Some Hill walking experience
- You should have a reasonable level of fitness and be prepared for being outdoors for the majority of each day
- Walking boots
- Waterproof top and bottoms
- Warm Clothing (including a "spare" warm layer)
- Hat and gloves
- Day rucksack (approx. 40-50 Litres)
- Small personal first aid kit
- Water bottle